Call for Proposals
2024-25 Global Research Workshops
Fostering the sharing of research across fields and national boundaries that advances our understanding of the world
Who May Apply
- Stanford Global Studies welcomes proposals from cross-disciplinary faculty groups from schools, departments, and programs within Stanford University.
- Graduate students are also welcome to participate under the guidance of faculty group leaders.
Interdisciplinary and Transregional
- Each workshop series should be centered around a theme that is interdisciplinary and transregional in nature.
- Speakers may be from Stanford, and we also strongly encourage the inclusion of scholars from across the globe.
- Teams will be asked to organize 6 virtual, in-person, or hybrid workshops per year (2 per quarter), as well as to publicize events to the Stanford community and partner institutions.
- Each team is expected to submit a quarterly update on the outcomes of the workshops. The update should include photos so that SGS may publicize the program on its website and social media channels, and to external audiences.
- Each team is required to record all virtual and hybrid events. Recordings of in-person workshops are strongly recommended but at the discretion of workshop organizers (all arrangements for recording in-person events will be the responsibility of the workshop organizers). All recorded workshops will be uploaded into an archive.
- Each team must include a commitment letter from the primary department/program chair and financial administrator agreeing to administer funding and provide logistical support for the workshop series. If more than one department/program chair and financial administrator is assisting with the management of this award, please submit multiple letters in the application form.
- Up to 4 grants will be awarded for 2024-25 year, and there will be an annual Call for Proposals.
- Funds may be used to support workshop logistics, travel, and modest honoraria.
- Funds may be used to support a stipend for a graduate student coordinator.
- Funds are not to be used to support salaries.
- Financial activities will be managed by the PI's home department.
- We are accepting applications by March 2024 for three quarters of support in 2024-25. Each team will receive $8,000 for the academic year. Successful applicants will have the possibility of renewal for their awards.
Applications are due March 15, 2024. Funded workshops will be notified via email no later than April 15, 2024.
If you have questions, please contact SGS executive director Katherine Kuhns at kkuhns [at] stanford.edu (kkuhns[at]stanford[dot]edu).