Graduate Student Grants
The Stanford Global Studies Division (SGS) provides the following grants to support research abroad, language training, or other activities for students enrolled in SGS master's programs:
Global Perspectives Awards
These grants are made possible by the generous support of Mr. Dapeng Zhu and Ms. Xiao Liu. The Global Perspectives Fund awards up to $4,000 to SGS M.A. students to support research abroad, language training, presenting original papers at academic conferences, and other activities that focus on addressing global and international concerns. Funding is subject to change (including cancellation) in compliance with evolving university policy around COVID-19.
Currently enrolled and incoming students in the following SGS master's programs:
- East Asian Studies
- Latin American Studies
- Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
- Activities must occur and funding must be used during the indicated grant period (Winter break/quarter, Spring break/quarter, or Summer quarter).
- Students must be enrolled in courses and/or considered matriculated by the Registrar's Office during the grant period.
- Awards are not intended for internships. However, applications for research-specific internships will be considered.
- Applications to present original papers at an appropriate conference will be considered.
- The funds are designed primarily for students who have not received financial support from other sources for their projects.
- Students traveling abroad should review the Student Travel Checklist on Stanford's International Affairs website.
- Awardees are asked to submit a short report with images after their trip.
- Awards are up to $4,000.
Required application materials:
- A one-page description of the proposed activity that includes a rationale for how it supplements the student’s research.
- A detailed budget outlining expected costs and funding sources.
- Enrolled students must provide the name of one Stanford faculty member to serve as a reference.
Applications for winter break/quarter are due by 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time) on November 17, 2023.
Applications for spring break/quarter are due by 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time) on January 30, 2024.
Applications for summer quarter are due by 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time) on April 5, 2024.
Questions? Please email Kristyn Hara at krishara [at] stanford.edu (krishara[at]stanford[dot]edu)