Host Organization: Orb, Inc
Organization Profile: Orb offers a configurable private-DLT product. We allow customers to design their economy using multiple coins, numerous behaviors, and asynchronous processing to generate custom data and processes.
Industry: Financial systems
Size: 12 (7 in engineering)
City: Tokyo, Japan
Internship Department: Engineering
Department Profile: Software development and infrastructure management
Work description: Interns at Orb are expected to act as full members of the team. They will have a chance to be involved with all aspects of our process: planning, architecture, and design, implementation and review. As a member of the team, you’ll have a chance to try different areas of engineering: software development, product design and/or infrastructure ops. We all work, to some degree, in all of these fields, so it is really up to the new member to decide where they want to focus. You can expect to have a lot of very close mentorship when needed (or recognized), but you will also have the chance to be independent, an owner and lead specific parts of the team if you choose. We like to be very democratic and discussion-oriented. So, anybody with a great idea or potentially more efficient process is always encouraged to speak up, share and help improve our systems.
Our software development needs incorporate many different flavors of interest: customer-facing APIs and project-based development, microservices, transaction managers, event-driven data pipelines and more.
Infrastructure works with scalable network configurations and topologies using technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Cassandra, Kafka and managed services from AWS. We build infrastructure that is meant to scale (horizontally and vertically) and support several multi-tenant applications and environments.
We aren’t a large team, but we are very efficient and have high output. We really enjoy working and solving problems together, and we are always looking for new members that can jump in and make us better.
Number of Opening(s): 1
Work Hours and Internship Start/End Dates: (Monday to Friday, June
22 –August 14, 2020): Full time / Five days a week
Work Attire: Casual
Local Language: Japanese, but in the office we usually speak English
Local Language Level Needed: Not required, but basic, and more, is certainly helpful for getting around outside of the office
Additional desired intern qualifications:
- general computer science knowledge
- ability to listen, retain and use advise and new information
- candidates that want to learn
- candidates that aren’t afraid to ask questions
- candidates that aren’t afraid to jump into a group discussion
- bonus: strong math skills
- bonus: algorithms and data structures
- bonus: database internals and transaction managers
- bonus: cryptography
- bonus: distributed systems
- Applicants must be currently enrolled freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, and coterms who are undergraduates in all majors, including undeclared. Coterm students must still have undergraduate status. MA students in the Center for East Asian Studies are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be current Stanford students during the internship period. Seniors must postpone graduation paperwork until the internship ends, but may participate in commencement. For summer graduation requirements, including details regarding enrollment requirements and information about participation in the June commencement ceremonies, students should contact their major department's student services office and Registrar's Office for graduation quarter petition.
- Preferably, before beginning their internships, selected candidates should have taken at least one course regarding the internship region. The course can be taken in the spring quarter.
For more internship positions provided by the Stanford Global Studies Internship Program, please see our internship listing.
Each applicant can apply for a maximum of two program-arranged positions. If you apply more than two positions, we will only accept the first two applications based on the time of your submission.
For more information, please see Eligibility and Stipend.