The Stanford Global Studies Division (SGS) provides the following grants to support research abroad, language training or other activities for students enrolled in SGS master's programs:
The Parveen Hassan and Ritva Heikkila Fund for International Research
In 2017, Stanford Global Studies received a gift in honor of Parveen Hassan, ’56 and Ritva Heikkila, ’56, who came to Stanford as Fulbright scholars from Pakistan and Finland, respectively. Across departments—political science, and speech and drama—and cultural differences, they became friends and stayed in touch until Heikkila’s death in 2016. This fund to support international research opportunities for master’s students, with a preference for cross-cultural research, honors their lifelong friendship.
Global Perspectives Awards
These grants are made possible by the generous support of Mr. Dapeng Zhu, Ms. Xiao Liu, Ms. Alice Yu, and the Friends of Stanford University Foundation in Taiwan.
Currently enrolled and incoming students in the following SGS master's programs:
- East Asian Studies
- Latin American Studies
- Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
- Activities must occur and funding must be used during the winter break or spring break.
- Students must be enrolled during the grant period.
- Awards are not intended for internships. However, applications for research-specific internships will be considered.
- Applications to present original papers at an appropriate conference will be considered.
- The funds are designed primarily for students who have not received financial support from other sources for their projects.
- Students traveling abroad must register their trip at oia.stanford.edu.
- Awardees are asked to submit a short report with images after their trip.
- Awards range from $500 to $4000.
Required application materials:
- A one-page description of the proposed activity that includes a rationale for how it supplements the student’s research.
- A detailed budget outlining expected costs and funding sources.
- Enrolled students must provide the name of one Stanford faculty member to serve as a reference.
- Incoming students may request that the committee use one of the letters provided for admission to the program. Please indicate which faculty member wrote a letter that can best speak to your research efforts.
*By completing the below application form, you can apply simultaneously for both the Hassan & Heikkila and the Global Perspectives awards. Please check the relevant box in the form if you would like your application to be considered for both awards.
Monday, November 4, 2019